Friday, January 23, 2009

Runners Itch

I get itchy in my fatty areas when I run once in a while, and it's always perplexed me. My dad told me once that it was my body creating new veins/arteries. I felt it today again, so I thought I would google it and I am SHOCKED at the amount of responses that have no clue. Most blame it on sweat, work out clothes, detergent, or even allergies. Allergic to exercise? Luckily there is some valid information out there and I think everyone should know that my dad was right. It basically just means you've been too dang lazy for too dang long, so keep working out regularly and it will go away. This jogger had a good description:

It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it’s inside the actual limbs. There are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but when unfit and inactive they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. That’s why after a few sessions the sensation tends to go away. Just another indication of increasing fitness levels.

0 comments: