Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New York: Loves and Hates



  • LOVE Free Concerts. Whether it's symphonies in Central, or rock at Battery.

St. Vincent at Battery Park
  • HATE The Heat. The muggy, moist heat that makes the garbage on the streets smolder and stink and our 5th floor apartment with no AC a miserable sauna where I sweat a gallon a day, gross.
  • LOVE Museums. I could've gone to a museum everyday all day and still not see half of everything I want to see here. (I'm not even counting galleries.) Historic stuff catches my fancy more than I thought it would. Favorites: Tenement, Cloisters, Frick, and Ellis Island.
Becca and Jake, Me at the Met
  • HATE Walking, Riding. Walking all day until my feet hurt and are filthy (all I have is flip flops) and that it takes about an hour to get just about anywhere.
  • LOVE Central Park. At first I thought "What's the big deal, it's a park." But it's so peaceful and fresh and has so much variety. A good escape from all the traffic and noise. Row boats, strolls, bikes, carriage rides, animals, families, lovers, remote control sailing, musicians, castles, painting, concerts.... so much to do and see. I love the running track around the reservoir.

Me, Strawberry Fields; Josh and Becca, he caught a turtle
  • HATE Carrying Heavy Groceries. On the packed subway and up hill.
  • LOVE Fire Flies. They make the park sparkle! It turns real life into a fairy tale!!!
  • HATE Cost of Living. It is so expensive. All the food is twice or three times as much. It makes me sick, really.
  • LOVE Shopping. You can really find anything you want here, in a real store. Which is great if you don't like shopping online.
  • HATE Customer Service. Not everywhere, but most employees are fed up by everything and shocked and angry that you may need help or have a question.
  • LOVE Free Yoga. I hated yoga on video, but love it in a class setting. Lululemon, a great little athletic store, puts it on three times a week, once in store and twice in Bryant Park.

Bryant Park Yoga

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE: My amazing wife! So is so beautiful, smart, stylish, and talented; an absolute doll!

HATE: That I can't spend every waking moment with her!

Great blog, babe!

Amanda said...

Wow-that sounds like an awesome list-I tended to like the likes. :) New York sounds awesome. We would love to come visit you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hehe, that's me with the turtle, i can hardly believe that i actually snatched a turtle out of the water with my barehandss, it was good getting to come up to New York to see you, Jake, and Becca. I look forward to reading your blog in the future

Anonymous said...

I love yoga too! Thanks for letting me experince yoga in New York with you and Becca, that was alot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh I've only been to New York City twice but I loved and hated so much of what you've said: The humidity is awful (especially if you're from the west, like me). The museums are fabulous fabulous fabulous. The Frick is my all time favorite. I only wore flip flops too, and I was shocked at how disgusting my feet could become!

Your blog is fun!